At Saxa Vord we are committed to ensuring our business incorporates environmentally sound principles and minimises any negative impact that we may have on our environment. Where possible we make every effort to:
- Comply with applicable environmental legislation and follow guidelines on good practice.
- Reduce energy consumption and our reliance on finite energy resources.
- Take steps to reduce the amount of waste produced on the resort and recycle materials where possible.
- Raise awareness of environmental issues relevant to the islands of Unst, Fetlar and Yell and work with the local community to improve sustainable business practices.
- Source produce and supplies that will minimise the impact on the local environment and promote sustainability.
Saxa Vord Resort first opened in April 2007, and from the outset we have tried to ensure that we adopt sound environmental principles. We now intend to formalise this by working towards accreditation with the Green Tourism Business Scheme. In 2010 our restaurant was shortlisted for the Highlands and Islands ‘Dining Out Experience’, and this recognised our commitment to using and promoting locally produced Highland Food.
Saxa Vord and Unst Regeneration Growers Enterprise (URGE) are winners of the Highlands & Islands Tourism Awards 2011 'Best Supplier' category.
Click here to download our full Environmental Policy (pdf; 400kb)